Thursday, October 23, 2008

What are you doing to keep going?

There is a circle of life. As it's been mentioned there is a certainty that all that is born will eventually die. However, there is much joy to have while we are alive and thus there are many reasons for us to strive to make the most out of life.

So what are you doing to keep going and to prolong the life you are living?

Here are a few of the things we can do to 'age-proof' ourselves.

First we need to keep ourselves physical well by:

- Eating right and wisely.
- Having a regular exercise schedule.
- Avoiding drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
- Yearly doctor visits and exams.

We also need to be intellectually well by:

- Daily activities that stimulate the brain. These might be reading, doing puzzles, or learning new things.

We need to keep our emotions level and in balance.

- We need to eliminate things that cause us negative stress. Stress is a common cause of health problems and if we can eliminate or learn to deal with stress in the right ways we will be better off because of it.
- Give yourself some 'me' time. A little 'me' time can go a long way.

Outside of stress, we need to have a support group and a positive internal focus.

- Have friends and family that you can rely on for help. Make sure it's someone that will support you, if you are trying to stop smoking you will need to not hang out with those that do. If you want to eat better, it's easiest if you can get those you eat with to do the same.
- Have a good self esteem. Outside of someone else helping you, you need to have faith in yourself. If you believe you can do it, you probably can.

Your environment or surroundings is also important.

- Keep a clean house.
- Be ready for the occasion. In the winter wear a coat. In the summer use lotion.

We need to not forget our spiritual wellness.

- Believe! It's not as important what you necessarily believe, but whatever you do believe make sure you actually do believe it.

--

So what are you doing? or what do you need to do?

I know I need to eat better. I need to exercise more. I do however walk at lunch a couple days a week. I try to walk between 12 - 20 miles a week. This gives me exercise, but also puts me outside and being outside is very relaxing and energising.

I am going to school which is preparing for the future. I am starting my family. Sometimes it seems I don't' have any time with them, but I do try to make time so that I can spend time with them.

I also like to have a book that I am reading. It needs to be for entertainment that I read it. This gives me something else to do, allows me to relax and forget about all the work and school I have.

--

So what are you doing to improve you life? Please leave a comment and let us all know.

No comments: