Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Good and The Bad

For this weeks class we had to write a paper about the good and bad of death and figured since my blog is on this topic I should post it hear for you all to read. Here it is:

--

We all at some point in our life will have to deal with someone dying who we knew personally and who meant something to us. Death is often thought to only bring about negative things; however there are also positive things that can happen because of it.

First let me talk about some of the normal negative things that can happen. First we lose someone we are close to. It can happen to those that are “too young” and still have so much life. There are too many little children that leave the earth way too soon. There are families that lose a parent when there are still children at home, making it hard for the single parents and for those kids. Another thing about death is it can drag out, there are many who are sick or have cancer that last months or years before they finally pass. These last moments are stressful on those who have to watch the process; it’s also hard on them to have the most recent memories of the deceased to be these moments of their love one suffering. Death can be very hard on all those around it when it happens.

However, there are things that are good that we can take away from a death. One of the good things is when someone is suffering and then passes away; it’s a relief for the family to see the suffering end. I have found that the family that is still alive usually develops closer relationships. When my Mom passed away, I was able to read her old journals and to go through things she had saved and to learn more about her then I ever would have if she was still alive. Death also has away to bring a person to seek spiritual guidance and understanding. I had always believed in the afterlife and in eternal families, but it wasn’t until I felt that I need an eternal family by losing my Mom that I was able to understand what that meant to me. This spiritual understanding also can lead to wanting to better our lives. Also with seeing other die we might strive to better our health so that we can live longer and avoid certain diseases.

Death is sad, but there are things we can learn from it. It can help us to live the rest of life a little happier by realizing that some things we thought were very important are actually not that important. So yes death can seem like a bad thing, but it is also a good thing.

No comments: